Sorry my blogging has been so rare lately, I’ve been ill loads and mostly lazy with cooking.
This one was created the other week thanks to my amazing husband who has been looking after me so well (and adapted Sunday brunch Simon Rimmer recipe)
We both LOVE these Thai flavours but rarely cook with beef. We’ll certainly be having this one again, it was delicious!
Ingredients (for 4)
750g beef, (we used stewing beef but can use whatever you can find as it’s cooked slowly) large 50mm cubes
Bunch of green stems from spring onions roughly chopped
Decent glug of garlic oil to replace cloves
2 sliced red chillies
3 stalks lemon grass, bashed, then each stem cut into 3
3 lime leaves
2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
400ml beef stock (it’s hard to get stock without onion but I seemed to be ok with the tiny amount)
15ml fish sauce
juice 1 lime
125g pea aubergine (we didn’t actually have these so not essential)
Additional veg you fancy (beensprouts, bamboo shoots, small amount of mange tout if fancy it)
200g cooked sticky rice (or Thai, whatever rice you prefer)
Garnish with coriander leaves and lime wedges
1. Fry the beef in garlic oil, for around 3 minutes total to seal. Remove.
2. In same pan, gently fry the green of spring onion and chilli for 5 minutes.
3. Add everything else except the additional vegbring to boil, then simmer for 3 hours.
4. Add whatever veg you fancy for a few minutes
5. Serve with rice and garnish with coriander leaves and lime wedges.